I was so inspired by a class I took this summer that I decided to propose a Wellness Initiative for the teachers at my school. Well, I did it! I sent this out in mid-September and hope to send out bi-weekly updates and check-ins as inspiration and guidance on their wellness journeys. Together, with my colleague, our Physical Education and Health teacher, we are excited to see how this takes shape over the course of the school year.
Dear Teachers & Friends,
Our Wellness Initiative is here! Each month we will make suggestions of activities to incorporate into your month from a few of the wellness categories. If you have ideas you would like to share, please pass them along. The more ideas the better!
For September & October we would like to propose the following areas of wellness to focus on:
- we encourage you to move your body, even if it’s only for 10 minutes a day
- start your morning with some simple moves: squats, planks, step-ups, etc.
- do a circle around your floor during the day
- take a longer route to the office, or the printer
- walk around the block before you go into your house and begin your evening
- back to school time can be very busy – try to make time to connect with family and friends
- we do such a great job of this over the summer, remember the fun times, and keep them going through the fall months (and take advantage of being outside!)
- many of us are involved in professional development opportunities in the fall (meetings, conferences, courses)
- we are also starting off our yearly evaluation process
- be sure to put yourself first in this endeavor, you are a lifelong learner, enjoy the experience and create goals that help you and mean something to you
In closing, we hope you are inspired throughout the year and have fun in this wellness endeavor.
- If you would like more detailed information about our initiative ideas and the 7 components of wellness, please visit: http://bit.ly/
- If you are interested in working with us on this initiative, please let us know
- If you tweet something related to wellness use the hashtags #runklewellness #wellnessforteachers
What do you think of this idea?
Until next time,