With the abundance of zucchini that is currently happening in our garden this very moment, I have been searching for zucchini recipes, and not necessarily treats like breads or muffins. Last summer I made savory zucchini cups, which were similar to zucchini fritters except baked in a muffin tin. They were good, but not out of this world. I wanted to incorporate the zucchini into a meatball in some way and created this delicious recipe. They are so quick and easy to make and the kids love them!
Chicken & Zucchini Poppers
Yields: 20 meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2 cups zucchini (shredded)
- ½ cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 scallions (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- cooking oil (olive oil, coconut oil, ghee)
- Add ground chicken or turkey, shredded zucchini, cilantro, scallions, salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix well with hands.
- Form into bite-size balls and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400º for 20 minutes. Turn once halfway through baking time.
- These can also be cooked in a skillet on the stovetop with a little olive oil, coconut oil or ghee.
- Serve as an appetizer, snack, or for dinner atop some spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
Have you made anything awesome with zucchini this season?